Many local restaurants have become significantly more educated, aware and able to cater to gluten-free diets with a variety of options,,, including pizza!
Delaware restaurants take pride is following strict internal food prep guidelines including the use of separate equipment to make gluten-free dough (Pizza by Elizabeths), a four-person food-safety check, (Big Fish Grill on the Riverfront) and even locally sourcing bread from gluten-free bakeries. (Home Grown Café)
Gluten-friendly menus in Greater Wilmington
Big Fish Grill on the Riverfront is a relaxed seafood spot on Wilmington's Riverfront with many fresh fish options and a variety of allergy-aware menus, including gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free and garlic-free menus
Two Great Options!
- Spinach Salad - Fresh spinach, chopped egg, bacon, gorgonzola cheese, sliced mushrooms in a warm apple cider vinaigrette
- Fresh Fish of the Day - Choose a fresh fish from the Big Fish Board to be grilled or blackened with a choice of two sides. Ask for allergy free sauce (like the fresh tropical fruit salsa!)
Home Grown Café is a casually hip spot in Newark with a locavore spirit and a global approach to cuisine, featuring a menu that caters to vegans, vegetarians, carnivores, omnivores, and gluten-free lifestyles alike.
Two Great Options!
- Southwestern Chili - Pinto and black beans, bell and chipotle peppers, onions, tomatoes, spices, tortilla croutons, jalapeño peppers
Teriyaki Dashi & Noodles - Savory broth, sauteed carrots, red peppers, bok choy, shiitake mushrooms, julienned radishes, cilantro and garlic over rice noodles. Choice of chicken, shrimp, or tofu.
Pizza by Elizabeths is Greenville Delaware's upscale pizza boutique. Enjoy a wide variety of gourmet pizzas featuring a choice of gluten-free crust! Pair any of the unique items with the robust wine list and typically there's always at least one gluten-free item on the dessert list. Check out what's on the menu this season below.
- Salmon Salad - Arugula, fresh strawberries, goat cheese, red onion, pistachio, white balsamic
These beer shrines also have solid gluten-free menus and a few options for gluten-free imbibing as well.
- At the bar: Red Bridge. (Some Iron Hill locations occasionally brew their own gluten-free beers. Ask your servers.) *And points to Iron Hill for their gluten-free children's menu!
- At the bar: A variety of Greens gluten-free beers from the U.K., plus ciders on tap
(Also Note: Delawares own Dogfish Head Brewery now brews a gluten-free beer, Tweasonale. It ranks in sixth place on Paste Magazines list of best gluten-free beers: The fruitiness of the strawberries is balanced by mild hoppy tones. Leave it to Dogfish Head to create an off-centered ale without gluten. One of the most interesting of the bunch, if not the most recognizably beer-like. Find it at local restaurants that stock Dogfish beers.)
Sushi has long been a good option for the gluten-free, as long as restaurant knows to avoid traps like traditional soy sauce. Potstickers substitute organic gluten-free Tamari soy sauce. - Check out their entire GF menu.
Two Top Choices!
- Chicken or vegetable lettuce wrap
- Thai spicy beef with basil and kaffir lime leaves - sliced Beef with Thai chili, onion, basil and kaffir lime leaves
Both Wilmington and Newark have fine-dining Italian restaurants that feature gluten-free pasta throughout their menus. Piccolina Toscana in Wilmington features a modern Italian tapas concept with a comfortably sleek lounge, and Caffe Gelato in Newark specializes in northern Italian cuisine with a 1,500 bottle wine cellar and a number of gluten-free gelato flavors (including dark chocolate).
Ole Tapas though no specific gluten-free menu at this tapas restaurant on the outskirts of Newark, the menu states that most items can be adapted, and many gluten-free websites praise the restaurant's flexibility and knowledge.
A Great Choice!
- Vieras en Serrano - Scallops and Serrano ham, almond-saffron puree
Although there isn't a specific gluten-free menu, these local bakeries have a plethora of choices when it comes to a good gluten-free treat!
The risk of cross-contamination is always present, even in gluten-friendly kitchens. Every one of the managers of these restaurants want you to be happy, to leave satisfied and to feel safe. If you have concerns, just ask. They're ready to answer questions about how they prepare their food. (One other note: The restaurants listed here offer robust gluten-free menus with dishes that anyone would enjoy, but this is by no means an exhaustive list. Many local restaurants can and will cater to gluten-free diners, and many chain restaurants have their own gluten-free offerings.)