Red Glow Building

Claymont

Claymont Darley HouseClaymont, Delaware has been continuously settled near the mouth of the Naaman's Creek on the Delaware River for more than 800 years. The first western inhabitants of the area named the creek and settlement after a chief from the Lenape Native American Indians who occupied the region. The area developed from a predominantly agricultural community in the mid-19th century into a suburban resort area for wealthy Philadelphia families by late 19th century. And, by the turn of the 20th century Claymont had transformed into an industrial working community.

The name Claymont became official in 1856 through the efforts of the wife of Reverend Clemson, pastor of the Episcopal church, after they had relocated from their family plantation, Claymont Court, in Charles Town, West Virginia. Today, Claymont is located at the confluence of Interstate 95, Interstate 495, Governor Printz Boulevard and Philadelphia Pike, and has long been established as a thoroughfare for travel between Philadelphia (20 miles to the north) and Washington, D.C. (100 miles to the south).

Just minutes from downtown WILMINGTON, Claymont has approximately 8,200 residents within 2.1 square miles. The Claymont area has seen several major revitalization efforts completed in recent years, including renovations of historical sites such as the Claymont Stone School, the Darley House and the Robinson House. Such revitalization efforts have garnered a Sustainable Communities Award from the National Association of Counties, in what has been called "the single largest redevelopment project in Brandywine Hundred in the last 40 years."